Monday, 1 August 2016

579. Keri nu Shaak (Mango Curry)

Making it after eons

       Keri nu shaak was an all time family favourite when I was growing up. My mum would make a huge huge amount of this curry and we all would relish it with some parathas. We all would fight for the mango seed (or gotalo as its called in Gujarati). It was fun to suck out all the gravy from the mango seed and then dip it again in the thick gravy and suck on it again. Its one of the simplest and yet the most tastiest curry. Is it childhood nostalgia or the curry itself, don't know but I love it. It goes well with parathas and even khichdi. Every time mango season would start, family members would pester my mum to make it and we were a huge family. Some people add sun dried vadi to it, some add onion and garlic. 

     I prefer it just the way my mum made it. My daughter loves it too and had requested me put up the recipe on my blog. I forgot about it till the next theme on #FoodieMonday#Bloghop was decided.Our 51st theme is #Curries. What are curries? Curries what we commonly know as sabji, sabzi, shaak, masala, korma,vindaloo, tandoori, kofta,Madras, gulai(Indonesian) just to name a few are nothing but vegetables, fish, or meat or a combination of all three or either two are made in a sauce that is rich in spices.Water, tomato, coconut, milk, onions,and spices are used to make these sauces or gravies. According to Wikipedia the word curry was an anglicised word of the Tamil word 'kari' meaning sauce. 
     
     Till Friday I was trying to think of what sort of curry to make. Since I love paneer a lot, my mind kept on going back to using paneer. Still got the block of paneer in the fridge! The mind was like paneer, or something Gujju, paneer or something Gujju. I saw mangoes and my mind was made up.Gujarati style mango curry is sweet and sour. Gujarati food is sweet but I don't add sugar or jaggery to all my food as hubby is diabetic. However, this curry does require the correct amount of jaggery to give that perfect balance between sweet and sour. 

    So here's one of my mum's recipe and the family's (hubby doesn't like it and doesn't know what he's missing) favourite keri nu shaak.









KERI NU SHAAK(MANGO CURRY)
Serves 4

2 large semi ripe mangoes (I use apple mango in Kenya, banganapalli, hapus or totapuri in India)
1 tbsp oil
1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
1 tsp mustard seeds (rai)
1-1¼ tsp salt
1-2 tsp green chilli paste
1-2 tsp ginger paste
½ - 1 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp dhana jiru powder (coriander and cumin powder)
¼ tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
¼ tsp asafoetida (hing)
½ - 1 cup grated jaggery (gur)
1 tbsp chopped fresh coriander or mint
3 cups water

  1. Soak the mangoes in water for 10-15 minutes. Give it a good wash. Cut the top off.
  2. Slice the mango into chunks with the skin.
  3. Heat oil in a deep pan over medium heat.
  4. When it's hot add cumin and mustard seeds.
  5. Add turmeric powder and asafoetida. 
  6. Add the mango pieces, salt and chilli and ginger pastes.
  7. Add water and mix well. Cover the pan.
  8. Let the mango cook over medium to low heat till they are done.
  9. This will take about 20-25 minutes depending on the type of mango.Don't forget to stir the curry in between so it does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
  10. Add the red chilli powder, dhana jiru and the grated jaggery. Its best to taste the curry at this point so you get an idea how much jaggery you will need. 
  11. Cover the pan and let the curry cook till the jaggery melts and the gravy is thick.
  12. Add chopped coriander or mint and serve with hot parathas or khichdi.
Tips:
  • The more sour the mango, the more jaggery (gur) you will need.That is why I prefer to use slightly ripe mango so I don't need to use too much jaggery.
  • When you stir the curry, some of the mango pulp comes off the skin and this makes the curry thick.
  • Adjust the spices according to your taste.
  • The colour of the curry will depend on the type of jaggery you use.Dark jaggery will give a dark colour gravy.
  • Usually chopped coriander is added to the curry but I added mint for the first time and loved the minty taste. 
You may want to check out the following:
Mbaazi (pigeon pea in coconut curry)
Mughlai Egg Curry
Chana nu shaak (Gujarati style black chickpeas)
Sending this recipe for the following event:

Blog Hop

11 comments:

  1. Im actually drooling here..its so yummy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gloria, my all time favourite.

      Delete
  2. Ah loving the look. Curry with mango sounds interesting and new to me. Awesome share 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sujata, try it, you may like it.

      Delete
  3. Mu may paani aagaya dee...loving it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Superb Di! Bookmarking the recipe. Looking forward to more such little known traditional recipes from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pushpita. Its recipes like these that get lost in the modern and fast food world.

      Delete
  5. This is very new to me, we use mangoes to sour any dish, but making a curry is absolutely new to me.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. Your comments are valuable to me.

Monday, 1 August 2016

579. Keri nu Shaak (Mango Curry)

Making it after eons

       Keri nu shaak was an all time family favourite when I was growing up. My mum would make a huge huge amount of this curry and we all would relish it with some parathas. We all would fight for the mango seed (or gotalo as its called in Gujarati). It was fun to suck out all the gravy from the mango seed and then dip it again in the thick gravy and suck on it again. Its one of the simplest and yet the most tastiest curry. Is it childhood nostalgia or the curry itself, don't know but I love it. It goes well with parathas and even khichdi. Every time mango season would start, family members would pester my mum to make it and we were a huge family. Some people add sun dried vadi to it, some add onion and garlic. 

     I prefer it just the way my mum made it. My daughter loves it too and had requested me put up the recipe on my blog. I forgot about it till the next theme on #FoodieMonday#Bloghop was decided.Our 51st theme is #Curries. What are curries? Curries what we commonly know as sabji, sabzi, shaak, masala, korma,vindaloo, tandoori, kofta,Madras, gulai(Indonesian) just to name a few are nothing but vegetables, fish, or meat or a combination of all three or either two are made in a sauce that is rich in spices.Water, tomato, coconut, milk, onions,and spices are used to make these sauces or gravies. According to Wikipedia the word curry was an anglicised word of the Tamil word 'kari' meaning sauce. 
     
     Till Friday I was trying to think of what sort of curry to make. Since I love paneer a lot, my mind kept on going back to using paneer. Still got the block of paneer in the fridge! The mind was like paneer, or something Gujju, paneer or something Gujju. I saw mangoes and my mind was made up.Gujarati style mango curry is sweet and sour. Gujarati food is sweet but I don't add sugar or jaggery to all my food as hubby is diabetic. However, this curry does require the correct amount of jaggery to give that perfect balance between sweet and sour. 

    So here's one of my mum's recipe and the family's (hubby doesn't like it and doesn't know what he's missing) favourite keri nu shaak.









KERI NU SHAAK(MANGO CURRY)
Serves 4

2 large semi ripe mangoes (I use apple mango in Kenya, banganapalli, hapus or totapuri in India)
1 tbsp oil
1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
1 tsp mustard seeds (rai)
1-1¼ tsp salt
1-2 tsp green chilli paste
1-2 tsp ginger paste
½ - 1 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp dhana jiru powder (coriander and cumin powder)
¼ tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
¼ tsp asafoetida (hing)
½ - 1 cup grated jaggery (gur)
1 tbsp chopped fresh coriander or mint
3 cups water

  1. Soak the mangoes in water for 10-15 minutes. Give it a good wash. Cut the top off.
  2. Slice the mango into chunks with the skin.
  3. Heat oil in a deep pan over medium heat.
  4. When it's hot add cumin and mustard seeds.
  5. Add turmeric powder and asafoetida. 
  6. Add the mango pieces, salt and chilli and ginger pastes.
  7. Add water and mix well. Cover the pan.
  8. Let the mango cook over medium to low heat till they are done.
  9. This will take about 20-25 minutes depending on the type of mango.Don't forget to stir the curry in between so it does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
  10. Add the red chilli powder, dhana jiru and the grated jaggery. Its best to taste the curry at this point so you get an idea how much jaggery you will need. 
  11. Cover the pan and let the curry cook till the jaggery melts and the gravy is thick.
  12. Add chopped coriander or mint and serve with hot parathas or khichdi.
Tips:
  • The more sour the mango, the more jaggery (gur) you will need.That is why I prefer to use slightly ripe mango so I don't need to use too much jaggery.
  • When you stir the curry, some of the mango pulp comes off the skin and this makes the curry thick.
  • Adjust the spices according to your taste.
  • The colour of the curry will depend on the type of jaggery you use.Dark jaggery will give a dark colour gravy.
  • Usually chopped coriander is added to the curry but I added mint for the first time and loved the minty taste. 
You may want to check out the following:
Mbaazi (pigeon pea in coconut curry)
Mughlai Egg Curry
Chana nu shaak (Gujarati style black chickpeas)
Sending this recipe for the following event:

Blog Hop

Pin It

11 comments:

  1. Im actually drooling here..its so yummy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gloria, my all time favourite.

      Delete
  2. Ah loving the look. Curry with mango sounds interesting and new to me. Awesome share 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sujata, try it, you may like it.

      Delete
  3. Mu may paani aagaya dee...loving it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Superb Di! Bookmarking the recipe. Looking forward to more such little known traditional recipes from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pushpita. Its recipes like these that get lost in the modern and fast food world.

      Delete
  5. This is very new to me, we use mangoes to sour any dish, but making a curry is absolutely new to me.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. Your comments are valuable to me.